-->
RSS

"Come along inside.
We'll see if tea and buns can make the world a better place."

-Kenneth Grahame

The Story Behind "Kat In The Kitchen"

In the beginning of May, my boyfriend & I moved into our new home. The same week as the move in, he was scheduled to work night shifts which allowed me time to go through the sea of boxes in the living room floor. Since I have a hard time sleeping when he's not home, it helps if I find something to do that will let me get rid of some energy before I wind down for bed. Moving our boxes around at 11pm and unpacking stuff helped me focus on something else for an hour or so and I would fall asleep by 1.

But then the night came when we ran out of boxes and I found myself with nothing to do. I suddenly got the idea that maybe taking some time to bake some cookies would not only let me wind down but give my boyfriend a tasty treat to look forward to. So I pulled out my cookbook and began searching for the best recipe.

Then it hit me: we just moved! We hardly had any baking supplies as I had not had the chance to go get any groceries. I looked around for something that would give me inspiration and stopped on the fruit bowl. I had two beautiful oranges left from fruit my mother had gotten me a few days earlier and began brainstorming ideas that would let me use them. I also wanted a recipe that would let me stay  in the apartment instead of going to the grocery store. I was pleasantly surprised when I stumbled upon a few recipes for orange oatmeal bread and I had fun taking a few different ideas and tweaking them to create my own version of the recipe. I ended up not only feeling creative but feeling accomplished and stress-free.

It was from this experience that I decided to start a blog of recipes that were not only unique, but easy and could be categorized by simple ingredients. This way people like me who just want to use something they already have in their kitchen (like the orange) could experience the thrill of baking something new with ingredients they already have. It became a routine and now I love searching for recipes to use things I already have in the house which not only makes life interesting, it reduces the chance that anything will go to waste.



Enjoi!

  • Digg
  • Del.icio.us
  • StumbleUpon
  • Reddit
  • RSS

0 comments:

Post a Comment